Monday, October 22, 2018

Flying Over the Rainbow

I kind of forgot that I never posted this one! I bought a set of Bloc Loc rulers a few months ago and was itching to try them out. So this rainbow quilt was born.


Funny story. I cut all the blocks out, then after I had done it, I realized I did it backwards. I meant to make the triangles rainbow and the blocks low volume. I was super mad at myself for about a day, but then I just decided to go with it and not tell anyone. Shhh. The blocks are 3x6" finished. I think it made 198 total... 

Backing from Walmart. I know, I know.

I did a little free motion loopy quilting. I just followed the lines of the blocks.

I decided to pin baste this one and it took for. ev. er. 

But it didn't shift, so that's cool. I've converted to spray basting since this, although I still can't decide which I like better.

I submitted this to my little local county fair. It won the lap quilts division (don't get too excited, they are very small divisions). The judges comments said, "commendable attempt at somewhat difficult construction". Haha. I'll take it! I like putting quilts into the fair because it pushes my construction a bit and makes me try harder than I usually do. I think this is my eighth year entering.

This was gifted to my Sister in Law for her 40th birthday. I've been meaning to make her a quilt for ages. I'm glad I finally had an excuse!

quilt stats:
198 flying geese (3x6" finished blocks)
54x66"
fabric: from my stash, mostly all scraps
backing and binding: Walmart
batting: warm and natural

No comments:

Post a Comment